Thursday, April 5, 2012
ShakesePeer
How's it goin' viewers? Hope you're here to enjoy another one of my riviting posts. The subject of this post: whether or not we should keep teaching Shakespeare in school. Personally, I think it should; but only in high school, of course. Little middle school kids aren't going to be able to understand any of that stuff. It's too difficult for them. And, I also think that when it taught in high school, it should only be taught to upper classmen. Freshmen and sophmores are just too fresh out of middle school to be able to fully comprehend. I'll even admit that I was when I was a freshman and sophmore. Now, I hear it all the time. Adults always demening us teenagers, saying none us will ever be able to appreciate true Shakespeare. I have even heard a group of middle aged people criticize teenage actors performing in a Shakespearian play; saying in a whisper to each other that "these foolish children will never understand the play they're performing". I don't know about you, but sounds pretty insulting to me. I also always hear teens ask, "Why is this important", or, "When are we ever going to use this". Well, I have asked this myself. And, it wasn't till very recently that I have found the answer to it. If you plan on staying in an English speaking country for the rest of your life, you should listen up in class. Shakespeare is a very vital essence in the English you will use in the future. When I found this out, a scenario popped up in my head of adults asking me how they will use when the can't get some of the Elizebithan English gestures and speech used. That is why liturature books put translation notes right next to them. Come on people you were in high scholl once, too, weren't you? I, myself, have started to see how it helps. After learning Shakespeare, you can see a wde range of discussion available to you. Through learning the different ways of speech that Shakespeare uses, you can speak in a different intillect; which is very advantagous to you in the future. May it be anything from finding a big job to meeting people who could be your best friends for life(or even your future spouse). And, it has to be taught in high shool because, when you wait till later in college, it's too late to collect all of that info. That is why I think that Shakespeare should be taught in school. It is my opinion as your peer, so you take it or leave it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading your thoughts on this prompt. Very punny on the title. I agree that there are a whole host of advantages that aren't statistically provable that can come from reading Shakespeare. Because Shakespeare is so tightly woven into the cultural fabric of the U.S., it's almost expected that you know something about Shakespeare and his works. When everyone is quoting Shakespeare, you don't want to be the odd one out left scratching his head in confusion. Good job.